[Live Webinar] Ethical Issues from the St. Francis Dam Collapse
Intended Audience: All Engineers
Credits: 2 PDH Units
When: 12/8. 2-4 pm
This webinar will examine the ethical issues that arose from the 1928 failure of the St. Francis Dam near Los Angeles, California. Near midnight on March 12 of that year the 195-feet high concrete arch dam collapsed catastrophically, releasing 12 billion gallons of flood waters downstream in a flood wave that reached a depth of 140 feet with average velocities estimated at 26 feet per second. By 5:30 AM on March 13 flood waters nearly two miles wide reached the Pacific Ocean near Ventura, California. The flood killed more than 450 people and was the worst civil engineering failure in U.S. history. In this webinar you will learn about the political and economic forces behind the project, the people who controlled the project, the ethical issues that were raised by the tragedy, and lessons the engineering profession learned from the tragedy.
Date: Tuesday. December 8. 2 – 4 pm ET
Credits: 2 PDH Units
Please note: this ethics webinar is intended to fulfill the annual ethics course requirements for most professional certifications and registrations.
At the successful conclusion of this webinar, you’ll be able to identify and discuss:
- Learn about the history of the project and the economic and political issues that shaped its development.
- Learn about the dam’s relation to the controversial Los Angeles Aqueduct.
- Learn about the well known public agency manager who controlled the project.
- Learn about the indications of trouble that were inspected before the failure but ignored.
- Learn about the dam break flows and velocities that resulted from the collapse.
- Learn about soil conditions at the site that should have been investigated and accommodated in the design.
- Learn about the dam height increases during construction that were not properly accommodated in the design.
- Learn about the ethical issues that were raised by the failure of the dam.
- Learn about the public agency manager’s engineering qualifications that raised ethical questions.
- Learn about the importance of professional training in avoiding similar incidents in the future.
Special Webinar Instructions
After payment, please visit this webinar page, click “Start Course” and fill out the Zoom Webinar Registration Form. You’ll then be able to access the webinar slides, test your system and receive webinar reminders. After completing the webinar requirements, your certificate of completion will be saved and available for download in your profile.
We value your feedback! Please rate this webinar after completion.