[Live Webinar] Ethical Issues; the KC Hyatt Hotel Walkway Collapse
Intended Audience: All Engineers
Credits: 2 PDH Units
When: Wednesday 12/15, 2 – 4 pm ET
This Webinar will examine the ethical issues that arose from the 1981 collapse of atrium lobby walkways at the newly constructed Hyatt Regency Hotel in Kansas City, Missouri. This tragic incident resulted in the loss of 114 lives and 200 injuries and is the most serious structural engineering failure in United States history. Out of this tragedy a number of serious ethical issues arose for the engineering profession.
In this webinar you will learn about the structural design feature that was the nexus of the failure, and the organizational and procedural deficiencies that allowed the fatal design change to be implemented. You will learn about the ensuing technical investigation, the issues of responsibility and liability, and lessons that were learned that can help us prevent future tragic failures such as this one.
This Webinar is intended for engineers, architects and other design and construction professionals wanting to learn how the most tragic structural failure in United States history resulted from organizational and procedural failures in the building design and construction process.
Please note: this “Live & Interactive” ethics webinar is intended to fulfill the annual ethics course requirements for most professional certifications and registrations.
Date: Wednesday December 15. 2 – 4 pm ET
Credits: 2 PDH Units
At the successful conclusion of this course, you’ll be able to identify and discuss:
- Learn how the parties to the design and construction effort held themselves out to the public.
- Learn from file photos what investigators at the scene saw at the time.
- Learn about the technical investigation headed by the National Bureau of Standards.
- Learn about the investigation and conclusions reach by the Missouri engineering registration board.
- Learn how engineering societies reacted to the event.
- Learn how contemporary project delivery methods might lead to different conclusions about responsibility today.
- Learn the three essentials to guard against a recurrence of this type of tragedy in the future.
Special Webinar Instructions
After payment, please visit this webinar page, click “Start Course” and fill out the Webinar Registration Form. You’ll receive email notification and details on how to join the webinar. You will then be able to access the webinar slides, test your system and receive webinar reminders. After completing the webinar requirements, your certificate of completion will be saved and available for download in your profile.
We value your feedback! Please rate this webinar after completion.