E – 1822 Fluid Power (Part 2) – Hydraulic Power Units
Intended Audience: Mechanical & Civil Engineers
Credits: 6 PDH Units
Fluid systems are utilized in many engineering systems like machine tools, heavy machinery, chemical processes, automotive equipment, aircraft, missiles, and space vehicles. All fluid systems involve the use of power unit comprising of pumps, valves, piping, tubing, and hoses used to convey fluid under pressure.
This 6-hour course provides general information on the types and applications of hydraulic prime movers such as rotary pumps, gear pumps, screw pumps and piston pumps along with the network of valves, piping and fittings. It also discusses several types of seals and packing used in fluid power systems. This course material is based entirely on the NAVEDTRA NONRESIDENT TRAINING COURSE 14105 titled “Fluid Power” wherein the readers will be introduced to chapters 4 thru 7.
Chapter -4: Pumps
Chapter -5: Fluid lines and fittings
Chapter -6: Valves
Chapter -7: Sealing devices and materials
At the successful conclusion of this course, you will learn the following knowledge and skills:
- Learn the various classification of pumps such as non-positive displacement, positive displacement, fixed displacement, variable displacement, fixed delivery, variable delivery, constant volume and others used to describe pumps
- Understand the different types of lines including rigid piping, semi rigid tubing and flexible hoses used to carry fluids under pressure
- Understand the selection criteria of defining lines that include material, ID, and wall thickness
- Learn the methods of preparation of pipes and tubing including cutting, bending, flaring
- Understand how to select and identify flexible hoses, and learn how to determine the shelf life of hoses using cure date
- Learn the various types of fittings and connectors used in hydraulic system piping including threaded connections, flange connectors, welded and brazed connectors, manifolds and quick disconnect couplings
- Understand the classification, types, and operation of valves used in the control of flow, pressure, and direction of fluids
- Understand the types and purposes of sealing devices used in fluid power systems, including the different materials used in their construction
No Reviews found for this course.