E – 1808 Corner Stone of Solid Waste Management
Intended Audience: Civil, Environmental and chemical Engineers and solid waste landfill managers and operators.
PDH UNITS: 3
In this course, the participant will learn how and where solid wastes are generated in a modern technological society, as well as how to store, collect and treat solid wastes. You’ll learn methods for reducing solid waste generation and how to reuse, recycle and recover energy from solid wastes. The participants will also learn methods for estimating the quantity and composition of solid wastes.
The course is designed with the outlines of Introduction to waste management, Definition and types of solid waste from technical and regulatory points of view, Characteristics of solid waste, Generation rate of solid waste in different regions and climate, Process for storage, collection, treatment, disposal procedures, and perspectives.
The course includes the solution of a few sample problems related to moisture content, density, and energy content determination for mixed solid waste.
At the successful conclusion of this course, you will learn the following knowledge and skills:
- How and where solid wastes are generated in a technological society
- Materials that are most commonly recovered from solid wastes
- Three general categories of solid waste
- Waste management hierarchy ranging from most to least desirable options
- Individual components of typical municipal solid waste
- Typical organic composition of residential refuse
- Why size of the component materials in solid wastes is of importance in the recovery of materials
- Typical moisture content and density of MSW components
- The four critical properties to know when solid wastes are to be used as fuel
- How to calculate the estimated energy content of a solid-waste sample
- Inert residue and energy content of municipal solid wastes
- Definition and types of solid waste from technical and regulatory points of view
- Per capita solid waste generation rates
- Trends in MSW generation rates
- Solid waste quantity estimation methods
No Reviews found for this course.